An election entertainment. [graphic] / Plate I
Lewis Walpole Library > An election entertainment. [graphic] / Plate I
- An election entertainment. [graphic] / Plate I
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- published 24th Febry. 1755, as the act directs.
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
A dining room in a tavern is filled with drunken and rowdy men seated around a rectangular and a circular table that have been pushed together. More men and women are pushing through the doorway on the right. In the back of the room, a band of musicians play their instruments. Through the window demonstrators care signs with political messages: "Liberty and property" and "Marry and multiply in spite of the devil and the ..." State with hatching lines throughout strengthened. The space where "the whole" was is in the inscription is now crossed out with lines. Dark areas on the surface of the overturned table are removed
Title engraved above image.
State from Paulson.
The first plate of four of an election.
Dedication engraved below design: To the Right Honourable Henry Fox, &c,&c,&c. This plate is humbly inscrib'd by his most obedient humble servt. Wm. Hogarth.
Statement of responsibilty with heavily scored through word between "Painted and" and "engraved by Wm. Hogarth."
- 1 print : plate mark 435 x 558 mm, on sheet 471 x 611 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 8].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Hogarth 755.02.24.01.8++ Box 305
- Collection Title
- Plate 39. Queen Charlotte's collection of Hogarth works.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818, collector.
- Collection Date
- [England], [1732-1764]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1755
Engravings England London 1755
Etchings England London 1755
Annotations (Provenance) 18th century
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain
- Subject (Topic)
Politics and government
Eating & drinking
Great Britain > Politics and government > 1714-1760 > Caricatures and cartoons
Eating & drinking
England > 1755
England > London > 1755
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)