Hudibras in tribulation [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Hudibras in tribulation [graphic]
- Hudibras in tribulation [graphic]
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Philip Overton and John Cooper
"Hudibras and Ralpho are in the stocks, the knight's boots, sword and pistols taking the place of the fiddle; a sympathetic widow, accompanied by her maid, addresses Hudibras while villagers gather round to mock, and a small boy urinates on Ralpho's foot"--British Museum online catalogue
Title engraved below image.
State, publisher, and date from Paulson.
Numbered "6."--Upper right corner.
Lettered below image with verse beginning: "She vow'd she would go see the sight and visit the distressed knight: and 'twas not long before she found him, and his stout squire in the pound ..."
- 1 print : plate mark 26.8 x 35.3 cm, on sheet 28.5 x 36.8 cm
- [State 3].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Sotheby 88+ Box 205
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Early works to 1800
Satires (Visual works) England 1726
Engravings England London 1726
Etchings England London 1726
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
- Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680.
- Subject (Topic)
Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680 > Illustrations
Purtians > England
Great Britain > History > Puritan Revolution, 1642-1660 > Humor > Early works to 1800
England > 1726
England > London > 1726
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)