Marriage a-la-mode. [graphic] / Plate V
Lewis Walpole Library > Marriage a-la-mode. [graphic] / Plate V
- Marriage a-la-mode. [graphic] / Plate V
- Alternative Title
- Marriage a-la-mode. Plate 5
- Ravenet, Simon François, 1706-1774 printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- [1 April 1745]
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
In a bedroom of The Bagnio, the mortally-wounded Earl leans on a table, the countess kneeling before him with clasped hands. Behind her on the right Silvertongue escapes through the window. On the left the watchmen stand in the doorway with startled expressions. The floor is strewn with clothing including a hooped petticoat, masks, the countess's shoes and her stays
Title engraved below image.
State from Paulson.
After the painting "The Bagnio" in the National Gallery, London.
- 1 print : plate mark 384 x 465 mm, on sheet 474 x 611 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 4].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Sotheby 20++ Box 300
- Collection Title
- Plate 20. Queen Charlotte's collection of Hogarth works.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818, collector.
- Collection Date
- [England], [1732-1764]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1745
Engravings England London 1745
Etchings England London 1745
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1745
England > London > 1745
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)