A midnight modern conversation [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A midnight modern conversation [graphic]
- A midnight modern conversation [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Midnight modern conuersation
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- [March 1732]
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
A scene in a paneled room (in a public house?) with eleven men seated around a table in the center of which is a large punch-bowl decorated with Chinese figures. Wine bottles litter the floor and piled high on the mantelpiece. In the right corner a chamber pot overflows. One man in the foreground has fallen backwards off his chair; as he lands prostrate on the floor, one of his intoxicated companions staggers toward him, oblivious to the fact that his wine is spilling out over the prostrate man's head. The longcase clock shows the time as 4:00. See Paulson for suggested identities of the men depicted
Title engraved below image.
State, publisher, and date from Paulson.
Six line poem engraved on either side of title: "Think not to find one meant Resemblance there ..."
1 print : etching with engraving, on laid paper ; plate mark 347 x 472 mm, on sheet 472 x 611 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 344 x 472 mm, on sheet 445 x 610 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 3].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Sotheby 28++ Box 305
- Collection Title
- Plate 28. Queen Charlotte's collection of Hogarth works.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818, collector.
- Collection Date
- [England], [1732-1764]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1732
Engravings England London 1732
Etchings England London 1732
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1732
England > London > 1732
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)