[The laughing audience, (or A pleased audience)] [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > [The laughing audience, (or A pleased audience)] [graphic].
- [The laughing audience, (or A pleased audience)] [graphic].
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker, publisher
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- [December 1733]
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
Fourth state of a plate for a subscription ticket for "A Rakes's Progress"and "Southwark Fair" with the text burnished with only a couple of traces remaining. "The scene is an audience of men and women in a theatre pit, all but one man laughing uproariously; above them in a box, two gentleman ignore the stage in favour of an orange girl and another young woman who takes a pinch of snuff; another orange girl reaches from the pit to tug at the sleeve of one of the gentlemen; to the left, three musicians protected from the audience by a row of spikes"--British Museum online catalogue
Title, state, publisher, and date from Paulson.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
On laid paper: sheet 186 x 169 mm.
- 1 print : plate mark 191 x 175 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 4].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Hogarth 733.12.00.01.4 Box 100
- Collection Title
- Plate 62. Queen Charlotte's collection of Hogarth works. Leaf 48. Album of William Hogarth prints.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818, collector.
- Collection Date
- [England], [1732-1764] [England], [not after 1753]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1733
Etchings England London 1733
- etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
Dandies > British
England > 1733
England > London > 1733
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818 > Ownership
Greenberg, Richard > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)