- Canterbury tales.
- Chaucer, Geoffrey, -1400.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1440-1460]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on vellum, in a single hand, of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. John Lydgate's Life of St. Margaret follows the Chaucer text.
Binding: nineteenth-century full brown morocco.
Byname: Devonshire Chaucer.
Decoration: full illuminated border on first page of text, including large portrait initial of author; other illuminated initials with decorated borders and elaborate penwork initials.
From the collections of Sir Edmund Knyvett; John Walpole; Thomas Skarlet; Sir Henry Spelman; Hamon L'Estrange; George Mason; John Ker, Duke of Roxburghe; William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire, and his descendants. On deposit from the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya, 2013-.
In Middle English.
Layout: single columns of 39-42 lines.
Script: English bookhand.
- ff. iv + 282 + iv : parchment ; 377 x 260 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 24
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Devonshire, William Spencer Cavendish,--Duke of,--1790-1858--Bookplate.
Lydgate, John, 1370?-1451? Life of St. Margaret.
- Subject (Topic)
English literature--Middle English, 1100-1500.
English poetry--Middle English, 1100-1500.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales. Takamiya MS 24.
- Orbis Record