A midwife going to a labour [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A midwife going to a labour [graphic]
- A midwife going to a labour [graphic]
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [not before 12 February 1811]
- Publication Place
- Thomas Tegg
"A fat elderly woman walks (left to right) over rough cobbles, in the teeth of a strong wind against a deluge of rain; her contour is global and fills the greater part of the design. She holds a lighted lantern and clutches a bottle of cordial and a bundle. She wears a hooded cloak, a flat straw hat over a white cap, and pattens. Near her (right) runs a shivering little chimney-sweep, bare-legged, and carrying his tools and soot-bag; he is shouting or 'crying the streets' for custom. Behind her (left) is an aged watchman, leaning with folded arms on the front of his watch-box, asleep. His lighted lantern hangs above his head."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state
Title etched below image.
Reissue; imprint and price statement have been completely burnished from plate.
Publication information inferred from earlier state with the imprint "Pubd. Febry. 12th, 1811, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside." Cf. No. 11795 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum, v. 9.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 2.
Also issued separately.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 199.
Leaf 73 in volume 2.
- 1 print : plate mark 35 x 25 cm, on sheet 41.8 x 26 cm.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 W87 807 v.2
- Collection Title
- V. 2. Caricature magazine, or, Hudibrastic mirror.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1811
Etchings England London 1811
Watermarks (Paper) 1817
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1811
England > London > 1811
Johnstone, Henry Arthur > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)