A new cock wanted, or, Work for the plumber [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A new cock wanted, or, Work for the plumber [graphic].
- A new cock wanted, or, Work for the plumber [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Work for the plumber
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [not before 20 April 1810]
- Publication Place
- Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
"The interior of an old-fashioned kitchen with raftered roof. A buxom maidservant with an alluring glance shows a handsome young plumber that the tap over the sink (left) needs renewing, since the water splashes widely. He carries a coil of lead piping, a new tap, tools, and a ladle for melting lead. Behind them (right) an irate old man wearing a dressing-gown advances upon the unconscious pair. Above the sink is a stone panel inscribed 'Anno Domini 1730 George II Rex'. Dishes are ranged on and under a dresser (right) on which sits a cat beside a bottle of 'Gin'. Hams hang from the roof and a bird is in a cage high on the wall."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from description of earlier state in the British Museum catalogue.
Later state, with first half of imprint statement burnished from plate.
Date of publication based on complete imprint from earlier state: Pubd. April 20th, 1810, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside. Cf. No. 11618 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 1.
"Price one shilling coloured."
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 182.
Leaf 82 in volume 1.
- 1 print : plate mark 34.9 x 25 cm, on sheet 41.8 x 26 cm.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 W87 807 v.1
- Collection Title
- V. 1. Caricature magazine, or, Hudibrastic mirror.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1810
Etchings England London 1810
Watermarks (Paper) 1817
- etching with stipple ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
England > 1810
England > London > 1810
Johnstone, Henry Arthur > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)