A bait for the kiddies on the north road, or, That's your sort prime bang up to the mark [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A bait for the kiddies on the north road, or, That's your sort prime bang up to the mark [graphic].
- A bait for the kiddies on the north road, or, That's your sort prime bang up to the mark [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- That's your sort prime bang up to the mark
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [not before 5 May 1810]
- Publication Place
- Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
"A stout stage-coachman, perhaps an amateur, holding a bowl, stands by the door of an inn, taking the chin of the very buxom landlady. He has a team-whip and wears a round hat and many-caped overcoat reaching to the feet. Above their heads swings the (pictorial) signboard: 'Widow Casey at the Sign of the Cock and Bottle' [in reversed characters]. Just within the door stands a young maidservant, smiling at the encounter. Above the door: 'Genteel Accomodations'. On the wall is a bill headed 'York Races'. In the background (right) appears the empty box-seat of the coach with three of the horses, with a groom and dog."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from description of earlier state in the British Museum catalogue.
Reissue, with first half of imprint statement burnished from plate.
Date of publication based on earlier state with the complete imprint "Pubd. May 5th, 1810, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside." Cf. No. 11619 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 1.
Also issued separately.
"Price one shilling coloured."
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, pages 184-6.
1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35.1 x 24.7 cm, on sheet 41.8 x 25.6 cm.
Leaf 88 in volume 1.
- 1 print : plate mark 35.1 x 24.9 cm, on sheet 37 x 26 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 W87 807 v.1
- Collection Title
- V. 1. Caricature magazine, or, Hudibrastic mirror.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1810
Etchings England London 1810
Watermarks (Paper) 1817
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
England > 1810
England > London > 1810
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Johnstone, Henry Arthur > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)