Progress of gallantry, or, Stolen kisses sweetest [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Progress of gallantry, or, Stolen kisses sweetest [graphic]
- Progress of gallantry, or, Stolen kisses sweetest [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Stolen kisses sweetest
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1846, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [not before 14 February 1814]
- Publication Place
- By Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
An obese, elderly sailor stands atop a fortified battlement looking out to sea through a telescope. Beside him a young woman turns to kiss a handsome young military officer as she holds up her wind-swept parasol. In front of him, at his feet, another young woman looks down at a sailor who gazes up at her with admiration. An old man shivers in the wind beside a sentry who stands with his back to the sea, smiling at the scene before him
Title etched below image.
Later state; former plate number "313" has been replaced with a new number, and beginning of imprint statement has been burnished from plate.
Date of publication based on complete imprint on earlier state: Pubd. Feby. 14, 1814, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside. Cf. No. 12402 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9.
Plate numbered "279" in upper right corner.
Plate from: Woodward, G.M. Caricature magazine, or Hudibrastic mirror. London : Thomas Tegg, [1808?], v. 4.
Also issued separately.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, pages 275-6.
1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35 x 24.8 cm, on sheet 41.8 x 25.6 cm.
Leaf xx in volume 4.
- 1 print : plate mark 34.8 x 25 cm, on sheet 35 x 25 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 W87 807 v.4
- Collection Title
- V. 4. Caricature magazine, or, Hudibrastic mirror.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1814
Etchings England London 1814
Watermarks (Paper) 1817
- etching with stipple ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1814
England > London > 1814
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Johnstone, Henry Arthur > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)