Who this can view yet feell no kindling fire, need keep no Lent to mortifie desire [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Who this can view yet feell no kindling fire, need keep no Lent to mortifie desire [graphic]
- Who this can view yet feell no kindling fire, need keep no Lent to mortifie desire [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Who this can view yet feel no kindling fire, need keep no Lent to mortify desire
- Smith, J. (John), 1652-1743, printmaker
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- J. Smith
"Venus, reclining on bed, nude apart from a sheet draped over her waist, wearing bracelets on each hand, embraces a naked infant (probably Cupid); a horned satyr drawing back a curtain behind her, and to the right a maidservant wearing scarf on head and plain loose dress with one breast partially bared; pillar in background to right, and landscape with trees and mountains in the distance."--British Museum online catalogue
Title engraved below image.
Date of publication from the British Museum online catalogue, registration no.: 1876,1111.14.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on bottom edge.
Mounted on page 128 of Horace Walpole's extra-illustrated copy of his: A description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole. Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, 1784. See Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press (1973 ed.), no. 30, copy 12.
1 print : mezzotint on laid paper ; sheet 20.2 x 28.2 cm.
Mounted on wove paper backing.
Imperfect; rectangular piece (7 x 80 mm) clipped from bottom edge of sheet, resulting in loss of title.
- 1 print : sheet 20.6 x 29 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 49 3582 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Mezzotints England London 1692
- mezzotint on laid paper ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Venus (Roman deity),
Cupid (Roman deity),
Venus (Roman deity)
Cupid (Roman deity)
England > London > 1692
Bawtree, William, 1744-1824 > Ownership
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Knight, William, -1847 > Ownership
Bull, Richard, 1725-1806 > Ownership
Curtis, Charles Constable, 1852-1936 > Ownership
Curtis, Edith Fanny Onslow, -1944 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)