The exposition of Cyrus in the gallery at Houghton / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The exposition of Cyrus in the gallery at Houghton / [graphic]
- The exposition of Cyrus in the gallery at Houghton / [graphic]
- Earlom, Richard, 1743-1822, printmaker
Castiglione, Giovanni Benedetto, 1609-1664, artist.
Boydell, John, 1720-1804, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [1 September 1781]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd Septr. 1st, 1781, by John Boydell engraver in Cheapside, London
"Woodland scene with a naked young boy lying on a cloth in the foreground, guarded by dogs; to right, a herdsman and a woman, presumably Mithridates and his wife Cyno, surprised at the sight; to left, a curved stone frieze of soldiers, surmounted by a crown and a naked child holding up a shield; to right, a boy looking on from behind Mithridates' sheep; fields and cattle in the background at centre."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a proof state
Title etched below image, above and on either side of etched Walpole arms bearing the motto "Fari quae sentiat."
Text below title: Six of the picture 2 f. 4 1/4 i. by 3 f. 6 1/2 i. long.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
Mounted on page 151 of Horace Walpole's extra-illustrated copy of his: A description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole. Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, 1784. See Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press (1973 ed.), no. 30, copy 12.
- 1 print : sheet 28.3 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 49 3582 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Mezzotints England London 1781
- mezzotint ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Cyrus, the Great, King of Persia, -530 B.C. or 529 B.C.
Cyrus, the Great, King of Persia, -530 B.C. or 529 B.C.
England > London > 1781
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Knight, William, -1847 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)