[Soldiers and prisoner] [art original]
Lewis Walpole Library > [Soldiers and prisoner] [art original]
- [Soldiers and prisoner] [art original]
- Published / Created
- [not after 1806]
- Publication Place
Ink drawing depicting a prisoner, possibly Saint Laurence of Rome, about to be burned over coals by Roman soldiers. The prisoner's hands are bound behind his back and he is naked apart from a loin cloth; a soldier on foot grasps him from behind while two mounted soldiers look on. Four other figures surround the prisoner, one crouching at the prisoner's feet and spreading coals. A statue of a seated figure next to an eagle is visible in the upper right, probably an architectual element of a building in the background
Title from local catalog card.
Signed in ink with the artist's initials in lower right corner of mount; also signed on verso with the same initials.
Place and date of production based on the country of residence and death date of Richard Bull, who owned and likely assembled the album in which this drawing was found.
Formerly laid in at page 153 in an album containing 402 pages, bound in red morocco leather with single gilt ruled line; spine stamped in gold "Drawings." Now disassembled and matted separately: Bull, R. Scrapbook of drawings. [England], [not after 1806].
Matted to 49 x 37 cm.
Original case shelved separately.
- 1 drawing : sheet 15.2 x 12.8 cm, mounted to 19 x 16.4 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
No linguistic content
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 B935 805 folder 46 Box 5
- Collection Title
- [Scrapbook of drawings].
- Collection/Other Creator
- Bull, Richard, 1725-1806.
- Collection Date
- [England], [not after 1806]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Ink drawings British 18th century
- pen and brown ink on laid paper, with wash-line mount ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Laurence, Saint, of Rome, -258.
- Subject (Topic)
Laurence, Saint, of Rome, -258
Soldiers > Roman
British > 18th century
Bull, Richard, 1725-1806 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Soldiers and Prisoner. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)