Taste in high life [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Taste in high life [graphic]
- Taste in high life [graphic]
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- publisher not identified
"An expensively furnished interior with an elderly lady wearing an enormous hooped petticoat in conversation with an extravagantly dressed gentleman; to left, a fashionable young lady pats a black page boy under the chin; in the foreground, a monkey wearing a coat and three-cornered hat reads a menu beginning "Pour Dinner/Cox Combs ..."; on the far wall, are pictures including one, labelled "Insects", showing the dancer Philippe Desnoyer, and another showing a statue of Venus with a hooped petticoat and stays"--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched above image.
The print, after a painting commissioned by Mary Edwards, was made without Hogarth's permission. It is not included in Paulson's catalogue.
Ms. note in Steevens's hand in pencil above print: See Nichols's book, 3d. edit. p. 259.
On page 105 in volume 2. Sheet trimmed to: 20.9 x 27.2 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 21.0 x 28.0 cm, on sheet 27.1 x 34.9 cm
- [State 2?].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 H67 800 v.2 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Annotations (Provenance) 18th century
Etchings England London 1798
Satires (Visual works) England 1798
- etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress
Clothing & dress
Dandies > British
England > London > 1798
England > 1798
Kinnaird, Charles Kinnaird, Baron, 1780-1826 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)