Paul before Felix [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Paul before Felix [graphic]
- Paul before Felix [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Paul before Felix burlesqued
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker
- Published / Created
- publish'd according to act of Parliament May 1st, 1751.
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
At his trial before Felix the Roman Governor of Judea, a very short St. Paul stands on a stool so as to be seen. The stool is steadied by a fat angel who is fast asleep and so unaware of the angry looking dog who wears a collar etched with the name 'Felix'. He stands addressing a gallery filled with people in Dutch dress. On the left behind a curtain the orator Tertullus tears up his speech; at his feet a demon pieces the fragments together. On the right Justice is shown as a fat woman who is not blind, one eye is not covered by the blindfold, in her left hand are the scales and in her left a butcher's knife. All the faces are caricatured; many of the audience hold their noses. In the distance can be seen boats on a river and a windmill
Title etched above image.
State and publisher from Paulson.
Second state, with plate cut down to remove receipt from left margin. See Paulson.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Ms. note in pencil in Steevens's hand above print: See Mr. Nichols's Book, 3d ed., p. 320.
On page 159 in volume 2. Sheet: 26 x 34 cm (trimmed within plate mark).
- 1 print : sheet 26.4 x 41 cm
- [State 2].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 H67 800 v.2 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Etchings England London 1751
- etching with some mezzotinting ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Paul, the Apostle, Saint.
- Subject (Topic)
Paul, the Apostle, Saint
England > London > 1751
Kinnaird, Charles Kinnaird, Baron, 1780-1826 > Ownership
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)