[Paul before Felix] [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > [Paul before Felix] [graphic].
- [Paul before Felix] [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled
- Sullivan, Luke, 1705-1771, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Wm. Hogarth
"Paul before Felix, showing St. Paul on trial before Felix, governor of Caesarea; the Saint to right, Felix and two priests on a dais, one sitting, asleep, beside the governor, two clerks in front of the bench at which St Paul stands, a figure with the Roman standard and a scroll to left, a soldier to right and two figures carrying fascae either side of the dais ..."--British Museum online catalogue
Title, publisher and state from Paulson.
Added title from caption below image.
Quotation from Acts 24-25 engraved below image: And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and Judgment to come, Felix trembled.
Text below quotation: From the original painting in Lincoln's Inn Hall painted by Wm. Hogarth.
State with quotation from Warton, printmaker's name, and date of publication eliminated.
Copy of Hogarth's print of the same title, with fewer figures and distinquished because it is not the reverse of the original painting.
Ms. note in pencil in Steevens's hand: See Mr. Nichols's book, 3d edit. p. 323.
On page 160 in volume 2. Sheet trimmed to: 42 x 52.3 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 42.3 x 53 cm, on sheet 47.7 x 62 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 4].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 H67 800 v.2 (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Plate 34. Queen Charlotte's collection of Hogarth works.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818, collector.
- Collection Date
- [England], [1732-1764]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Engravings England London 1762
Etchings England London 1762
Annotations (Provenance) 18th century
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Paul, the Apostle, Saint,
- Subject (Topic)
Paul, the Apostle, Saint
England > London > 1762
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Sotheby, Frederick Edward, 1837-1909 > Ownership
Charlotte, Queen, consort of George III, King of Great Britain, 1744-1818 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)