References to the figures in Hogarth's Enthusiasm delineated [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > References to the figures in Hogarth's Enthusiasm delineated [graphic]
- References to the figures in Hogarth's Enthusiasm delineated [graphic]
- Mills, Isaac, 1770-1857, printmaker
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
- Published / Created
- March 1798.
- Publication Place
- Published by John Ireland, No. 3 Poets Corner, Palace Yard, Westminster
Reduced copy of Hogarth's print; interior of a chapel with an impassioned preacher inspiring his listeners who include a woman swooning on the floor and a young couple embracing; many of the congregation are clutching figures of Christ; a barking dog with a collar without "Whitfield" etched on it echoes the preacher
Title etched above image.
Legend to figures lettered or marked with asterisks in image, above imprint and below image: A. After Raphael. B. After Rubens. C. After Rembrandt. D.E.F.G.H. Are imitiations of other painters. *From sketches by Hogarth on the margins of the original prints.
"Page 233"--Above image, left.
Plate prepared for: Ireland, J. Supplement to Hogarth Illustrated, 1798, p. 233.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
Details from: Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 3, no. 2425.
Details form: Paulson, R. Hogarth's graphic works (3rd ed.), no. 210.
On page 191 in volume 2.
- 1 print : sheet 21 x 14 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 H67 800 v.2 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1798
Etchings England London 1798
- etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Toft, Mary, 1703-1763
- Subject (Topic)
Toft, Mary, 1703-1763 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1798
England > London > 1798
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)