The complicated R-n [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The complicated R-n [graphic]
- The complicated R-n [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Complicated Richardson
- Ireland, Samuel, -1800, printmaker
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- S. Ireland
A copy after the 1734 print from a design by W. Hogarth. The artist Jonathan Richardson, seated at a table, looks through a telescope that is aimed at the bare bottom of his son who stands on the table before him. Through his son the father looks at a volume of "Virgil [A]enid" which lies open on the shelf above. With his right hand he writes with a quill pen on a sheet of paper with the heading 'Note'. On the other shelves along the wall are paintings and small statuary; on the wall below the shelves is a portrait of Milton. On the floor in the lower right edge is an artist's palette and an easel. A dog jumps and barks at the son's feet
Title from caption above image.
Signed within image: WH f. [i.e., Wm. Hogarth fecit].
Text below image: "I know well enough my eye is no eye at all. I must apply to my telescope. My son is my telescope, tis by his help I read [the] learned languages."
Page from: Ireland, S. Graphic illustrations of Hogarth ... 1794, vol. i, p. 86.
Ms. note in pencil in Steevens's hand above print: £14-0--0.
On page 233 in volume 3. Sheet trimmed to: 19.7 x 12.6 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 22.8 x 15.4 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 H67 800 v.3 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Etchings England London 1794
- etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745
- Subject (Topic)
Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745 > Caricatures and cartoons
Artists > British
England > London > 1794
Steevens, George, 1736-1800 > Ownership
Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)