***** on the sublime & beautiful [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > ***** on the sublime & beautiful [graphic]
- ***** on the sublime & beautiful [graphic]
- Alternative Title
Burke on the sublime and beautiful
***** on the sublime and beautiful
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823, printmaker
- Cornell, Thos., active 1780-1792, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [6 April 1785]
- Publication Place
- Published 6th April 1785 by Thos. Cornell, Bruton S[tre]et
"A scene in the House of Commons. Burke stands on the shoulders of two seated members: his right foot is on the left shoulder of Powys, his left on the right shoulder of Sawbridge. His arms are crossed on his breast, his right arm clutching his left shoulder; from his mouth float three scrolls inscribed, 'Invective against ye Minister', 'Short Observations on India Affairs' [a long scroll], and 'Tropes on the Irish Trade Bill'. Powys looks up at him with an angry expression; he holds in his hand a thick bundle of papers inscribed 'Memda of Important Observations Obvious Objections Perpetual Motions Doubts Facts Surmises Queries &ca &ca'. Sawbridge looks gloomily away from Burke, his left leg stretched along the seat; he holds a paper inscribed 'Mock Motion for Reform in the Representation &c.' Three members seated behind Burke hide their heads or turn aside from his spate of words. Beneath the title is etched: 'Sublimi feriam Sidera Vertice Hor.'"--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Signed with the monogram of James Sayers.
Mounted on page 43.
- 1 print : plate mark 32.8 x 23.4 cm, on sheet 46 x 33 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 Sa85 782 (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Leaf 27. Folio album of 144 caricatures.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823.
- Collection Date
- [London], [between 1782 and 1810]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1785
Etchings England London 1785
- etching with stipple ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797
Powys, Thomas, 1737-1809
Sawbridge, John, 1732?-1795
- Subject (Topic)
- Politics and government
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 > Caricatures and cartoons
Powys, Thomas, 1737-1809 > Caricatures and cartoons
Sawbridge, John, 1732?-1795 > Caricatures and cartoons
Great Britain > Politics and government > 1760-1789
Ireland > Politics and government > 1760-1820
England > 1785
England > London > 1785
Eldon, John Scott, Earl of, 1751-1838 > Ownership
Sayers, James, 1748-1823 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)