A whisper 'cross the Channel [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A whisper 'cross the Channel [graphic]
- A whisper 'cross the Channel [graphic]
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823, printmaker
- Cornell, Thos., active 1780-1792, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [1 August 1785]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. 1st August 1785 by Thos. Cornel [sic], Bruton Street
"Fox (left) standing on English soil, and Hervey, Bishop of Deny (right), standing on land representing Ireland, embrace across a narrow piece of water inscribed 'St George's Channel'. The bishop resembles, and is probably copied from, the figure in British Museum Satires No. 6654, &c. His right hand holds up a burning brand, his left is on Fox's shoulder. Fox's profile is hidden behind that of the bishop; in his outstretched left hand is a burning brand held horizontally above burning buildings which are sketched on the right of the design (in Ireland). Behind Fox is a building resembling St. Paul's, above which are heavy clouds. In the channel are ships."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Signed with the monogram of James Sayers.
Temporary local subject terms: Ireland & the Irish -- Irish Propositions, 1785 -- Church buildings -- Burning city buildings -- Lighting: Burning brands.
Mounted on page 46 with one other print.
- 1 print : plate mark 24.9 x 20.2 cm, on sheet 38 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 Sa85 782 (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Verso of leaf 29. Folio album of 144 caricatures.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823.
- Collection Date
- [London], [between 1782 and 1810]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1785
Aquatints England London 1785
Etchings England London 1785
- etching and aquatint ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
Bristol, Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th earl of, Bp. of Derry, 1730-1803
St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England),
- Subject (Topic)
Politics and government
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Bristol, Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th earl of, Bp. of Derry, 1730-1803 > Caricatures and cartoons
St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England)
Great Britain > Politics and government > 1760-1789
Ireland > Politics and government > 1760-1820
England > 1785
England > London > 1785
Eldon, John Scott, Earl of, 1751-1838 > Ownership
Sayers, James, 1748-1823 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)