A shot at the Min----r, for a call of the House a hasty sketch of yesterdays business / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A shot at the Min----r, for a call of the House a hasty sketch of yesterdays business / [graphic]
- A shot at the Min----r, for a call of the House a hasty sketch of yesterdays business / [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Shot at the Minister for a call of the House
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [6 February 1787]
- Publication Place
- Publd. 6th Febry. 1787 by Thos. Cornell, Bruton Strt
"Fox (right), wearing a hat, stands in profile to the left, discharging a blunderbuss at the Commercial Treaty (left), a long scroll whose lower portion rests on the floor. The muzzle of his weapon is the head in profile of Lord George Cavendish, from whose mouth missiles emerge. On bands round the muzzle are etched the Cavendish motto, 'Cavendo tutus'. From Fox's pocket protrudes a paper inscribed 'Methuen Treaty'. Behind Fox three seated members are indicated but not characterized; Burke leans forward from behind them holding out his hat in agitated approval. After the title is etched, 'a hasty Sketch of Yesterdays Business'."--British Museum online catalogue
"On 5 Feb. Pitt moved for a committee of the whole House (on 12 Feb.) on the Treaty of Commerce and Navigation with France. Cavendish moved an amendment to delay the debate. Fox then spoke, attacking the treaty as (inter alia) a sacrifice of the Methuen Treaty with Portugal, and alleging that Pitt was 'opposed by the whole body of the people', and 'wrong in every article of his scheme'. 'Parl. Hist.' xxvi. 346 ff."--Curator's comments, British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Signed with the monogram of James Sayers.
Mounted on page 52 with one other print.
- 1 print : plate mark 17.9 x 25.2 cm, on sheet 23.8 x 33 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 75 Sa85 782 (Oversize)
- Collection Title
- Verso of leaf 35. Folio album of 144 caricatures.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823.
- Collection Date
- [London], [between 1782 and 1810]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1787
Etchings England London 1787
- etching with stipple on laid paper ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
- Subject (Topic)
Politics and government
Foreign economic relations
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 > Caricatures and cartoons
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Great Britain > Politics and government > 1760-1789
Great Britain > Foreign economic relations > France
France. Treaties, etc. Great Britain, 1786 September 26.
England > 1787
England > London > 1787
Eldon, John Scott, Earl of, 1751-1838 > Ownership
Sayers, James, 1748-1823 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)