[A shadowbox framed depiction of two actors in performance] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [A shadowbox framed depiction of two actors in performance] [art original].
- [A shadowbox framed depiction of two actors in performance] [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Shadow box framed depiction two actors in performance
- Published / Created
- [early 19th century]
- Publication Place
The dancer wearing a Roman toga is perhaps David Garrick, with Mrs. Siddons accompanying him on the lute. In his imaginary journey through time, Three tours through London in the years 1748, 1776, 1797 (New Haven, 1941), Wilmarth S. Lewis 'goes' to the London theatre of 1776 where "Garrick still requires that those playing a scene with him shall turn their backs to the audience when addresssing him so that there will be no question whatever of its attention being diverted from him. Failure to observe this rule ... caused young Mrs. Siddons to fall into disfavour and contributed to her dismissal from the company."
One of a pair of shadowboxes. The other box is titled: A shadowbox framed depiction David Garrick on stage.
Provenance from a label affixed to the top of one of a pair of boxes, in Mrs. Lewis hand.
- 1 object : 14.5 x 12.5 x 3.5 inches
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- LWL Object 1 Shelved in Object Room C:D
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- watercolor on paper with silk fabrics, wood, and feathers, in a wooden frame ;
- Resource Type
- three-dimensional form
- Subject (Name)
Garrick, David, 1717-1779.
Siddons, Sarah, 1755-1831.
- Subject (Topic)
Garrick, David, 1717-1779
Siddons, Sarah, 1755-1831
Actors > British
Vestris, Lucia Elizabeth Bartolozzi, 1797-1856 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)