Prayer roll in Middle English and Latin.
- Prayer roll in Middle English and Latin.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1435-1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript roll, on parchment, in a single hand, of a collection of Middle English and Latin prayers. Reverse of roll contains horizontal inscription suggesting that the item may have been intended as a birth girdle.
Binding: modern case.
Decoration: four illustrations: the Three Nails, a Heart and Crown of Thorns; a Cross with the Instruments of the Passion; the Holy Wounds of Christ; and the Instruments of the Passion.
From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya, 2013-.
Layout: single column.
Possibly from Tewkesbury (contains a copy of a prayer said to have been carried away by the Devil from Our Lady of Tewkesbury).
Script: English rounded bookhand.
- 1 roll : parchment ; 1730 x 80 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 56
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, English (Middle)
English literature--Middle English, 1100-1500.
English poetry--Middle English, 1100-1500.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Prayer Roll in Middle English and Latin. Takamiya MS 56.
- Orbis Record