The inventory of chirurgy.
- The inventory of chirurgy.
- Guy, de Chauliac, approximately 1300-1368.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on paper and parchment, in a single hand, of a Middle English translation of de Chauliac's treatise on surgery and other aspects of practical medical treatment, particularly of wounds.
Binding: fifteenth-century blind-stamped full calf over wooden boards, rebacked; remains of later hardware. Binder's label on back pastedown: W. H. Woods & Co. / Manchester / 1879.
Decoration: seven large decorated initials; numerous smaller initials in blue with red penwork.
Includes 5 inserted slips.
Layout: double columns of 54 lines.
Previously owned by Sir Thomas Nott; John Byrom; Chetham's Library, Manchester. From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya, 2013-.
Script: cursive bookhand.
Support: mixed. 101 paper leaves, 52 parchment leaves.
Wanting ff. 2-3. Some gaps and errors in foliation.
- 153 l. : paper and parchment ; 375 x 265 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 59
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscript waste (Binding)
Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Chetham's Library Ownership.
Guy,--de Chauliac,--approximately 1300-1368.
- Subject (Topic)
English prose literature--Middle English, 1100-1500.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medicine--Early works to 1800.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Surgery--Early works to 1800.
Surgery--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Guy de Chauliac, Inventory of Chirurgy. Takamiya MS 59.
- Orbis Record