Sir John Mandeville's travels.
- Sir John Mandeville's travels.
- Alternative Title
- Itinerarium. English
- Mandeville, John, Sir.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1400-1425]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on parchment, in a single hand, of a Middle English copy of the "Defective Version" of the Book of Sir John Mandeville.
Binding: contemporary light brown doeskin over wooden boards.
Decoration: decorated border on opening leaf of text incorporating coat of arms of the Norton family of Yorkshire; a few initials in blue ink with red penwork.
Four leaves preceding the Mandeville text contain numerous pen trials, a Latin prayer, medical advice organized by month, and a list of the archbishops of York. Two leaves following the text contain pen trials and Latin notes on the life of St. Wilfrid?.
Layout: single columns of 20-23 lines.
Previously owned by the Norton family of Yorkshire; Brockman family. Ex libris J. P. R. Lyell; H. L. Bradfer-Lawrence. From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya, 2013-.
Script: English bookhand.
- 116 l. : parchment ; 170 x 125 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 64
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L.--(Harry Lawrence)--Bookplate.
Lyell, James P. R.--(James Patrick Ronaldson),--1871---Bookplate.
- Subject (Topic)
English prose literature--Middle English, 1100-1500.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Voyages and travels--Early works to 1800.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Sir John Mandeville, Sir John Mandeville's Travels. Takamiya MS 64.
- Orbis Record