Penitential psalms and litany.
- Penitential psalms and litany.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1475]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on parchment, containing the Penitential Psalms, the Litany of the Saints, the Psalms of the Passion, and other Latin prayers and devotions. The text is preceded by two pages of rubrics in Middle French; there are Middle English rubrics concerning indulgences on ff. 55-57. Several pages contain short pieces of music in the margins, probably in a contemporary hand. and The manuscript also contains two miniatures not original to the text. The first (f. 4) is a full-page miniature of St. Christopher in color against a stylized landscape and a gold ground with a title sewn to the top margin, possibly predating its current binding by 50 years. The second (ff. 62b-63) is a double-page miniature of the Adoration of the Magi; the figures are outlined in ink and finished with washes in green, red and blue. Possibly intended as a pattern for embroidery or for wall-painting.
Binding: 16th-century English blind-stamped calf, with panels of heads in medallions, rebacked.
Decoration: Rubricated. Approximately 110 initials in blue with red penwork. Full-page minature illustration of St. Christopher; double-page illustration of the Adoration of the Magi.
From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya, 2013-.
Front and back pastedowns from a contemporary? printed German play about Adam and Eve.
In Latin, with a small number of rubrics in Middle French (ff.1-2) and Middle English (ff. 55-57).
Layout: first section in single columns of 17 lines; second section in single columns of 12 lines.
Script: gothic liturgical script.
- iv + 138 l. : parchment ; 125 x 85 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 69
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions.
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)
Illumination of books and manuscripts,
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Penitential Psalms and Litary. Takamiya MS 69.
- Orbis Record