- Catoptrica, etc.
- Published / Created
- 1541; [between 1500 and 1600]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper in three distinct parts. Part I (ff. 1-78): 1) Euclid, Catoptrica. 2) Euclid, Phaenomena. 3) Euclid, Opticarum recensio Theonis. 4) Euclid, Data. Part II (ff. 79-102): 5) Euclid, Data, incomplete at beginning and end. Part III (ff. 103-142): 6) Theodore Metochites, Introductio in Ptolemaei compositionem mathematicam.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Vellum case with a gold-tooled title.
Part I: Headpiece, 3- and 2-line initials with stylized floral motifs and headings in red. Diagrams in margins of geometrical figures drawn with compass. Part II: Headings in red. Diagrams drawn with compass and ruler, labelled in red, and fitted into written space. Part III: 2- to 1-line initials with stylized floral motifs and headings in pale red.
Purchased from Kraus in 1970 by Edwin J. Beinecke for the Beinecke Library.
Script: Each part written by a different scribe, all in Greek minuscule. Part I by Valeriano da Forli, who also wrote marginal notes in red and labelled the diagrams.
Watermarks: Part I: Harlfinger Ancre 51 (1540, 1541 A. D.). Part II: similar to those in Part I. Part III: Harlfinger Lettres 66.
Waterstains throughout. On f. 57r, spills, dirt and pen trials; several words effaced or obscured. Discoloration on ff. 1r and 78v suggests that this part was once separate.
- ff. 142 + i : paper ; 370 x 262 (228 x 115) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 424
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Renaissance--Italy--16th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Metochites, Theodoros, d. 1332.
- Subject (Topic)
Charts, diagrams, etc.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catoptrica, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 424.
- Orbis Record
- More Information