16. Natalie Barney in her garden
- 16. Natalie Barney in her garden
- Published / Created
- Box 1 contains correspondence, photographs, a legal document, an address book, and a newspaper clipping. The correspondence is among Barney, Bettina Bergery, Berthe Cleyrergue, Laura Dreyfus-Barney, Marcelle Fauchier-Delavigne, Nadine Hwang, Janine Lahovany, André Rouveyre, and Crédit Suisse Berne, dated 1935-1973. The bulk of the correspondence consists of eighty-five letters from Barney to Cleyrergue, dated 1940-1968. The photographs depict several individuals, including Barney, Dolly Wilde, Valery Larbaud, Hwang, Eva Palmer, Mina Loy, Djuna Barnes, Antoinette Gentien, Renée Vivien, Laura Dreyfus-Barney, and Marie Laurencin. The legal document is a typescript copy of a page from an April 1918 voir dire, detailing the troubled marriage between Colette and Henry de Jouvenal. The newspaper clipping is an undated cartoon of the temple de l'amitié in Barney's garden. The leather-bound address book belonged to Barney and contains two cartes de visite.
- Natalie Clifford Barney (1876-1972) was a poet, playwright, novelist and essayist, whose salon in Paris, while serving as a gathering point for writers in general, aimed to promote the writings of women.
- 1 folder containing 1 photographic print ; 12.5 x 12.5 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS 1024
- Collection Title
- Joan Schenkar collection of Natalie Barney
- Collection/Other Creator
- Schenkar, Joan M.
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 34
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Joan Schenkar Collection of Natalie Barney. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record