Alchemical and rosicrucian compendium.
- Alchemical and rosicrucian compendium.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1760]
- Publication Place
- Lower Rhineland (?),
- Manuscript on paper of a pietistic, mystical text in prose and verse, illustrated by a great variety of illustrations cut from manuscripts of smaller dimensions (plus some prints), and pasted in. These illustrations include the "Python" illuminated drawing which has been reproduced in color, a series of "alchemical processes depicted symbolically taking place within flasks", as well as many other pictorial elements drawn from a variety of sources.
Binding: Uniformly bound in eighteenth- or nineteenth-century marbled boards, red leather backs with three bands, each volume with modern brown calf title labels gold-stamped "ALCHYMICAL MANUSCRIPT," speckled edges.
Bound in 2 volumes.
In German, Low-German, Latin, and Hebrew.
Mellon MS 28, acquired with the Duveen collection. Gift of Paul and Mary Mellon, 1965.
Script: Written by a single hand in dark brown and pale red inks in a loose and flowing cursive, often with Fraktur elements, frequently placing capital letters in the midst of words, sometimes in red; with some inserted leaves and additional matter by another, perhaps slightly later hand, and with pasted-in leaves, usually with illustrations, partly taken from older manuscripts, and partly (apparently) by the compiler.
Watermarks: The inserted leaves of paper with a large fleur-de-lys watermark, unidentified; the thinner paper used for most of the volumes with unidentified watermark in folds.
With additions in German and Dutch.
- ff. 838 : paper ; 233 x 183 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Mellon MS 110
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Alchemical and Rosicrucian Compendium. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Witten, Laurence C. and Pachella, Richard. Alchemy and the Occult: A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts from the Collection of Paul and Mary Mellon. Volume Four: Manuscripts, Mellon MS 110.
- Orbis Record