Sioux campaign journal, 1876.
- Sioux campaign journal, 1876.
- Freeman, Henry Blanchard, 1837-1915
- The journal describes the expedition, under Col. John Gibbon's command, which marched down the Yellowstone to join Gen. Terry and Gen. Custer. It records councils with the Crow Indians, meeting Terry, arriving at the site of Custer's massacre, caring for the wounded, and burying the dead. The expedition marched back to the Rosebud, joined Crook's command pursuing Indians, and returned to Fort Shaw. There is a map of the battlefield.
Corroborates the account of Lt. William L. English (WA MSS 171).
Gift of William Robertson Coe.
Henry Blanchard Freeman, captain in command of six companies of the 7th Infantry.
- 1 v. (79 p.) ; 19 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS 204
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Freeman, Henry Blanchard,--1837-1915.
United States.--Army.--Infantry Regiment, 7th.
- Subject (Topic)
Black Hills War, 1876-1877.
Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876--Maps.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Henry Blanchard Freeman Sioux Campaign Journal. Western Americana Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Withington, M. C. Catalogue of Western Americana Manuscripts, 204.
- Orbis Record
- More Information