Poems by James John Forbes Leith & Williamina Helen Stewart Forbes Leith of Whitehaugh, 1827 and later.
- Poems by James John Forbes Leith & Williamina Helen Stewart Forbes Leith of Whitehaugh, 1827 and later.
- Forbes Leith, Williamina Helen (Stewart).
- Manuscript, in a single hand, of a collection of 12 sentimental acrostic poems on the writer's marriage and family members, and 1 incomplete verse on maternal love. The acrostic on the phrase "to Colonel James John Forbes Leith, of Whitehaught. By Williamina Helen Stewart. Forbes Leith of Whitehaugh" is annotated with Forbes Leith's date of birth and the date of their marriage. Ten other acrostics are based on the names of the children, including "William Forbes Leith, Second Son," and are annotated with the dates and places of birth of the children to whom the poems are written. The last acrostic is on Williamina's father and is an extensive acrostic on the phrase "Colonel James Stewart, of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, Second Son of Charles Stewart Esquire, of Shambelly, New Abbey, near Dumbries." and These poems are followed by a chart, in pencil in another hand, with an attendance list of names labeled "Footbal," and then by about 130 pages of notes in a shorthand, interspersed, and at times drawn over, with numerous crude drawings in pencil and other notes in a childish hand. The drawings are primarily combative scenes, including several of soldiers with guns, men punching each other, and a series of boxing images. The volume is signed numerous times by two young boys, Henry and Augustus Nightingale, with their address, 17 Victoria Villas, Richmond, Surrey.
Binding: machine grain, with blind-stamped decoration. On spine in gilt: Poems.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
Pasted inside front cover: armorial bookplate with motto, "Salus per Christum."
Pasted inside front cover: bookplate of Mrs. Col. Forbes-Leith, Whitehaugh.
Title from title page.
- 1 v. (36 p.) ; 18 x 12 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn d225
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Forbes Leith family.
Forbes Leith, James John.
Forbes Leith, Williamina Helen (Stewart).
- Subject (Topic)
English poetry--19th century
Sentimentalism in literature
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Williamina Helen Stewart Forbes Leith, Poems by James John Forbes Leith & Williamina Helen Stewart Forbes Leith of Whitehaugh. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record