The digital version of this work is restricted to the Yale Community.
- Garin-Painter, Mary
- Baldwin, James, 1924-1987
- Published / Created
- The Walter O. Evans Collection of James Baldwin is comprised of a typescript draft of Baldwin's Another Country (New York: Dial Pub., 1962) and correspondence sent from Baldwin to Mary Garin-Painter, David Adams Leeming, and Eugene Lerner dating from 1953 to 1987. In his letters Baldwin discusses his writing projects and personal life (ranging from his relationships to his experience living abroad in France and Turkey). Baldwin also reflects on his experience at the MacDowell Colony where he was in residence while working on his novel Giovanni's Room. The correspondence constitutes a window into Baldwin's creative process and life during this period.
Captions devised by cataloger. Letters dated using postage marks on accompanying envelopes.
Purchased from Walter O. and Linda Evans on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund and the Sinclair Lewis Fund, 2013.
- Approx. 28 x 21.5 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- JWJ MSS 107
- Collection Title
- Walter O. Evans collection of James Baldwin
- Collection/Other Creator
- Evans, Walter O
- Collection Date
- 1953-1987 (bulk 1963-1972).
- Collection Note
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 2 | Folder 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- United States--Race relations
- Subject (Name)
- Garin-Painter, Mary
- Subject (Topic)
African American authors--20th century--Archives
African American authors--France--Paris.
African American civil rights workers
African Americans--Civil rights--20th century.
Authors, American--20th century--Archives
Authors, American--Homes and haunts--Turkey--Istanbul.
Access And Usage Rights
- Yale Community Only
- Permission from the James Baldwin Estate is required to publish James Baldwin materials in any format. To learn more, contact the Curator, Yale Collection of American Literature.
- Walter O. Evans Collection of James Baldwin. James Weldon Johnson Collection in the Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record