[Collection of English proverbs].
- [Collection of English proverbs].
- Published / Created
- ca. 1654
- Manuscript, in a single hand, of a collection of quoted proverbs on such subjects as youth, wisdom, wealth and poverty, sin and wickedness, and virtue, drawn from contemporary collections such as John Clarke's Paroemiologia Anglolatina, George Herbert's Jacula Prudentum, and James Shirley's Wit's Labyrinth. The aphorisms are arranged alphabetically according to the first word; in the first volume, some of the letter tabs are still intact, while all the letter tabs are intact in the second volume. Dates appear throughout both volumes, indicating the years 1653 and 1654.
Binding: half calf over machine-grain morocco.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
In gilt on spine: English Proverbs.
Pasted inside front cover: binder's ticket which reads "Bretherton, ligavit, 1848."
Phillipps MSS 12157 and 12158.
- 2 v. (378 p.) ; 30 x 20 and 33 x 21 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fb77
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Social life and customs--17th century.
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Aphorisms and apothegms.
Conduct of life--17th century.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Collection of English Proverbs, Circa 1654. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record