The digital version of this work is restricted to the Yale Community.
- Published / Created
- 1897-1907, undated.
- Box 1 contains the correspondence, photographs, family records, the bulk of the military records, and the circa 2013 genealogical material and typescript. Box 2 contains Francis Marion Gibson's Army promotion certificates. and Family correspondence, photographs, and military records documenting the lives of family members of Francis M. Gibson. Gibson's military service in the Seventh Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army in Montana in the Battle of the Little Bighorn is particularly well documented. The papers include Gibson's military and family records, including his marriage certificate to Kate Garrett, Army promotion certificates, and burial plot records for Washington National Cemetery, 1869-1894, with a letter from Katherine Gibson Fougera about the marriage certificate, circa 1940; letters from Donald McIntosh to Mary Garrett McIntosh, 1876; letters from George Armstong Custer's widow, Elizabeth Bacon Custer, to Katherine Garrett Gibson, circa 1919 and undated; letters from General George H. Cameron to Francis Marion Gibson and Kate Garrett Gibson, 1916-1919; and letters concerning Gibson family history from E. S. Luce, Superintendent of the Custer Battlefield National Cemetery, to Katherine Gibson Fougera, 1941-1955, with four photographs of the park enclosed. Accompanied by later genealogical material compiled by descendants and transcript of notes made by Kate Garrett Gibson in 1924, circa 2013.
- Gift of Margaret Christensen, 2013.
- 1 folder containing 10 cabinet cards ; 16.5 x 10.8 cm. and smaller.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-3032
- Collection Title
- Gibson family papers.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Gibson (Family)
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Resource Type
- Prints & Photographs
- Subject (Name)
Cameron, George H.
Custer, Elizabeth Bacon,--1842-1933
Fougera, Katherine Gibson,--1882
Gibson, Francis M
Gibson, Kate Garrett,--1853-1934.
Luce, E. S.,--active 1941-1955.
McIntosh, Mary Garrett,--1853-1910.
United States.--Army.--Cavalry, 7th
- Subject (Topic)
Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876
Access And Usage Rights
- Yale Community Only
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Gibson Family Papers. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record