Divine meditations : [poems], 1640 July 2.
- Divine meditations : [poems], 1640 July 2.
- Colman, Henry.
- Published / Created
- [1640 July 2]
- Manuscript on paper, in a single secretary hand, of about 57 poems on religious subjects in various verse forms. The collection begins and ends with a pattern poem written in the shape of an altar: the first is titled "The Altar" and the last "Sinnes Sacrifice." The manuscript also contains several acrostic poems on the name of Christ; other poems include "The Lords Supper," "Baptism," "On Humilitie," and On Christ's Passion." The work is prefaced by a dedication to Sir William Saville and an acrostic poem based on his name.
Binding: parchment; gilt decoration.
Dos-a-dos, in a different hand, a pastoral poem in iambic couplets about Daphnis and Lycidas.
For information on the source of acquisition, consult the appropriate curator.
On title page: "By H: C: Philo-poeticus."
- 1 v. 16 + 108 + 14 p. ; 19 x 14 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn b2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Henry Colman, Divine Meditations. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record