Breviari d'Amor (fragment).
- Breviari d'Amor (fragment).
- Ermengaud, Matfre, active 1288-1322
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1320]
- Publication Place
- Southern France,
- Includes pamphlet Fragment d'un Chansonnier Provençal by C. Chabaneau, dated 1891. and Manuscript fragment on parchment of the Breviari d'Amor by Matfre Ermengaud. This fragment, the sole example of troubadour lyric in North America outside of the Morgan Library, contains sections II.15913-16015 of the poem, which details the ten punishments of hell. Marginal notes in two later hands are present.
Decoration: nine four-line initials in alternating red and blue with contrasting penwork. Two two-line initials in red. A single red capitulum mark. Rubrics present in red.
In Old Occitan (Old Provençal).
Layout: single column of thirty lines; the initial letter of each line is set slightly apart. Light brown ink.
Purchased from King Alfred's Notebook in 2017.
Script: main text in vernacular Gothic bookhand. Marginal notes in a late medieval hand and an early modern hand.
- 1 bifolium : parchment ; 204 mm x 146 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Provençal, Old (to 1500)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 712.161
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--France--14th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Ermengaud, Matfre,--active 1288-1322
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Fragments in Beinecke Library.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Matre Ermengaud, Breviari d'Amor (Fragment). General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record