Sermons; Lives of saints.
- Sermons; Lives of saints.
- Published / Created
- 1585, 1651.
- Publication Place
- Mount Athos,
- Manuscript on paper (sturdy). Pages 9-1315 contain Sermons and Lives of Saints for March 25 through August 29. The manuscript is composed of three parts; the second two serve to complete a text that was either unfinished or damaged.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Half bound in purple calfskin with watered cloth sides. "Lectionary. Greek MS. Mt. Athos 1555" on spine.
Library of Constantine Simonides; his sale to Sir Thomas Phillipps (no. 13864). Purchased from L. C. Witten with funds from the Jacob Ziskind Charitable Trust in 1957.
Part I: Intricate headpiece of vine-tendrils within rectangular blocks, outlined in black and filled with red, yellow, and pale gold (p. 9). Large initials, 10- to 8- line, of similar design and colors, appear for each new text together with narrow headpieces. Some instructions for the rubricator remain along upper and lower edges. Part II: Simple headpiece in black and red (p. 1316); one ornamental initial, 5-line, sprouting floral motifs on same page, in red. 2-line initials in gold. Part III: Headpiece of plaited design, in red and burnt orange (p. 1324); single decorative initial, 9-line, at beginning of text.
Script: Part I (pp. 1-1315, skips 399): Executed by a single scribe in large bold minuscule. The scribe of Part II notes on p. 1315 that this portion was completed by Cyrillus in 1585 at the monastery of St. Simon Petras, with the subvention of Constantinus. Cyrillus' own signature occurs on p. 1323. Part II (pp. 1315-323): Written by a single scribe in a smaller, more calligraphic minuscule than Part I. Part III (pp. 1324-1334): Executed by a single scribe who signed and dated the section on p. 1334: Ioasaph, 15 January 1651.
Watermarks: anchor within a circle and surmounted by a six-pointed star, all three parts with assorted countermarks.
- ff. ii + 662 + ii : paper ; 317 x 210 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Greek, Modern (1453-)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 251
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Renaissance--Greece--16th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Athos (Greece)
- Subject (Name)
- Orthodoxos Ekklēsia tēs Hellados
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Monasticism and religious orders
Sermons--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Sermons; Lives of Saints. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 251.
- Orbis Record
- More Information