Hudibras vanquish'd by Trulla [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Hudibras vanquish'd by Trulla [graphic]
- Hudibras vanquish'd by Trulla [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Hudibras vanquished by Trulla
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, printmaker
Hogarth, William, 1697-1764, artist.
Sayer, Robert, 1725-1794, publisher.
- Published / Created
-  and [printed ca. 1768]
- Publication Place
- Printed and sold by Robert Sayer, opposite Fetter Lane, Fleet Street
"Hudibras is sprawled on the ground with Trulla, a large country-woman, astride him fending off angry villagers, including a cobbler and a butcher, wielding clubs; to left, Ralpho is held by a man with a rope and another with a sword"-- British Museun online catalogue
Title engraved below image.
Title from Paulson: Hudibras vanquished by Trulla.
Date and state from Paulson.
Numbered "5" in upper right corner.
Twenty-four lines of verse in four columns, two on either side of the title below image: Meanwhile the other campion, Yerst, in hurry of the fight disperst ... restor'd this fiddle and his case."
- 1 print : plate mark 26.6 x 35 cm, on sheet 26.9 x 35 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 4].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Hogarth 768.00.00.02 Box 112
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Early works to 1800
Satires (Visual works) England 1726
Engravings England London 1726
Etchings England London 1726
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
- Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680.
- Subject (Topic)
Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680 > Illustrations
Great Britain > History > Puritan Revolution, 1642-1660 > Humor > Early works to 1800
Puritans > England
England > 1726
England > London > 1726
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)