A short ride in the Long Walk, or, The ponies posed!! [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A short ride in the Long Walk, or, The ponies posed!! [graphic].
- A short ride in the Long Walk, or, The ponies posed!! [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Ponies posed
- Heath, William, 1795-1840, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [28 March 1824]
- Publication Place
- Pub. March 28, 1824, by S.W. Fores, 41 Picadilly [sic], London
"George IV drives Lady Conyngham in a four-wheeled pony-chaise. He is chubbily obese, in loose trousers and braided jacket, wearing a cap poised on his naturalistic curls (cf. British Museum Satires no. 14637). He turns to the enormously corpulent lady. Both overweight the little chaise, and the very small ponies strain desperately. Behind and on the extreme left is the head of the horse ridden by an attendant. They have just passed a gate with a small octagonal lodge. The drive is bordered by a paling; in the background are stags."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from the British Museum catalogue.
Watermark: J. Whatman 1824.
- 1 print : plate mark 24.9 x 36 cm, on sheet 27.4 x 40 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1824
Etchings England London 1824
Watermarks (Paper) J. Whatman 1824
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830
Conyngham, Elizabeth Conyngham, Marchioness, -1861
- Subject (Topic)
Carriages & coaches
George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830 > Caricatures and cartoons
Conyngham, Elizabeth Conyngham, Marchioness, -1861 > Caricatures and cartoons
Carriages & coaches
England > 1824
England > London > 1824
J. Whatman > 1824
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)