- Freaner, James L.
- Published / Created
- 1848 Mar 21
- 33 ALS to Freaner from friends and associates, some of them Army officers and government officials, and 5 copies of letters he wrote to others. Eleven letters are from John Maginnis; these discuss Delta business and the court of inquiry, other New Orleans newspapers, and the reaction of people in New Orleans to the dispatches he sent from Mexico. Other letters regard payment of loans made to others, a projected mail line in the Gulf, municipal elections in New Orleans, and news from the United States when Freaner was out of the country. Correspondents include General D. E. Twiggs, General Robert Patterson, Francis M. Dimond, and Louis Fitzgerald Tasistro. With an incomplete draft of an article, notes taken of Major Hobbie about English steamers in the Gulf, and a receipt for sales made by Freaner while he was auctioneer in Vera Cruz in June and July, 1848.
Freaner, a correspondent for the New Orleans Delta during the Mexican War, signed his dispatches from the front "Mustang." He also carried the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo to Washington, and became involved in a quarrel between General Winfield Scott and General Gideon Pillow that resulted in the convening of a court of inquiry. After the war, Freaner spent some time in the United States and then seems to have worked in Mexico with a General Smith, perhaps General Persifor Smith, who was commander of the Pacific Division until 1850.
John Maginnis was Freaner's editor at the New Orleans Delta.
Purchased from Alta California Bookstore on the Frederick W. & Carrie S. Beinecke Fund for Western Americana.
Some letters torn, affecting text.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-1665
- Collection Title
- James L. Freaner letters and other papers
- Collection/Other Creator
- Freaner, James L
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
New Orleans (La.)--Description and travel
New Orleans (La.)--Newspapers
- Subject (Name)
Dimond, Francis M.
Freaner, James L.
Patterson, Robert, 1792-1881
Pillow, Gideon Johnson, 1806-1878
Scott, Winfield, 1786-1866
Tasistro, Louis F. (Louis Fitzgerald), 1808-1868
Twiggs, David Emmanuel, 1790-1862
- Subject (Topic)
American newspapers--Louisiana--New Orleans
Mexican War, 1846-1848--Periodicals
Mexican War, 1846-1848--Treaties
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- James L. Freaner Letters and Other Papers. Western Americana Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University
- Orbis Record