Le Livre des trois vertus.
- Le Livre des trois vertus.
- Christine, de Pisan, approximately 1364-approximately 1431
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1475]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment (trimmed).
Belonged to Baron Edmond de Rothschild (1845-1934; MS 12). Purchased from H. P. Kraus in 1968, as the gift of Edwin J. Beinecke.
Binding: Nineteenth century. Red, straight-grained goatskin gold-tooled with black onlays over the bands. Light blue, watered silk doublures and gilt edges. Bound by Bozerian (Paris, 1793-1817). Armorial binding of comte L. L. Pajot d'Ons-en-Bray.
Script: Written in batarde, with elaborate flourishes and cadeaux in upper and lower margins.
The manuscript includes four miniatures which are among the finest by the Master of Amiens 200, active in Hesdin and Mons and possibly in Amiens in the third quarter of the fifteenth century. Four half-page miniatures, each with a 6- to 4-line initial, blue with white highlights, filled with red, blue and green ivy, against an irregular gold ground, edged in black, some with cusping. Initial on f. 1r with arms of Crevecoeur family (gules, 3 chevrons or) added later. Folios with miniatures have a blue and gold bar in inner margin, with diamond-shaped terminals and regularly spaced blocks of black hair-spray with two gold ivy leaves in margin; the other three margins with red, blue and green acanthus, with some gold, red and blue flowers, birds, insects, surrounded by blue and gold ivy leaves. 2-line initials, gold, filled with pink or blue against irregular, cusped blue or pink grounds with white filigree. Rubrics throughout.
- ff. ii + i + 96 + i + ii : parchment ; 354 x 263 (216 x 160) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
French, Middle (ca.1400-1600)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 427
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscripts, Medieval--France--15th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Gand, Louis de --Provenance
Rothschild, Edmond, baron de, 1845-1934 --Provenance
- Subject (Topic)
French literature--To 1500.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Women authors, French.
Women --Conduct of life --Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Le Livre des Trois Vertus. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 427.
- Orbis Record
- More Information