- Beresford, Joseph D
- Published / Created
- Also present are two photographs, apparently of Beresford, undated, and three picture postcards with illustrations of Warner Hot Springs. Letters and story installments are accompanied by seventeen envelopes. and Twelve ALS, most dated at Warner Springs or Santa Ysabel, San Diego County, California, to his niece, "Mrs. Joseph H. A. Symonds," New York City; and twelve installments of a story written by Beresford, about cowboys, Indians, and mysticism, titled "The Green Crystal, or, The Witch Stone," holograph, also sent to his niece. Six of the letters, 1921-1923, accompany or are appended to sections of the story; these mostly concern his experiences in writing, his life in Santa Ysabel, and family news. Six earlier letters, 1908-1919, describe his experiences in the West, including discussion of a prospecting trip in the Colorado Desert, a cattle drive in Arizona, ranch life, and relations between Americans and Mexicans. Two letters enclose poems by Beresford, titled "Prospecting," holograph, and "The Herd's Mad Race," typescript with holograph corrections. "Prospecting" and installments of "The Green Crystal" are signed by Beresford, using the pseudonym, "Tychualla."
- Purchased from Charles Hamilton on the Walter McClintock Memorial Fund, 1962.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2152
- Collection Title
- Joseph D. Beresford letters and writings
- Collection/Other Creator
- Beresford, Joseph D
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
Mexican-American Border Region--Social conditions
San Diego County (Calif.)--Social life and customs
Santa Ysabel (Calif.)
Warner Springs (Calif.)
- Subject (Name)
Beresford, Joseph D. Green Crystal.
Beresford, Joseph D. Witch stone.
Symonds, Joseph H. A., Mrs
- Subject (Topic)
Prospecting--Colorado Desert (Calif. and Mexico)
Ranch life--California--San Diego County
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Joseph D. Beresford Letters and Writings. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record