p. 58: Ford, Rathbone and Walter, Application for Farm Pupil, blank form
- p. 58: Ford, Rathbone and Walter, Application for Farm Pupil, blank form
- Published / Created
- 1883 Jun
- Approximately 80 items which were originally housed in accompanying scrapbook: pamphlets, leaflets, applications forms, forms of receipt and other documents printed by the American Colonization Company and its successor bodies. Also pamphlets, prospectuses and documents relating to the American Railway Securities and Land Agency, the North American Land Association, the Minnesota Land and Farming Company, and the Iowa and Minnesota Land and Farming Company as well as pamphlets and leaflets describing farming and land investment opportunities in the Dakotas, Minnesota and Iowa. Scrapbook includes penciled annotations for some publications regarding number of copies printed, cost of printing, and name of printer.
Henry Franklin Shearman was involved with several land companies (including the American Railway Securities and Land Agency, the North American Land Association, and the Minnesota Land and Farming Company) that encouraged English investment in the American West during the late 1870s. In 1880 Shearman established a company in London that arranged contracts between American farmers in need of labor and young English men interested in learning about American farm life. As Shearman conceived the program, the immigrants would work as "farm pupils" for a period of years before purchasing their own farms in the United States. The business, which became known as the American Colonization Company, was transferred to Ford, Rathbone & Walter in 1882. The next seven years brought frequent changes in name and ownership as the program expanded to include farm placements in the Northwest, Canada, and Tasmania. William Wilbraham Ford held interests in the companies throughout the period, and continued operations under his own name after 1889.
Items originally mounted in scrapbook.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2435
- Collection Title
- Papers relating to the American Colonization Company and various American land companies
- Collection Date
- Collection Note
- Contents of Scrapbook
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 2 | Folder 50
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Papers Relating to the American Colonization Company and Various American Land Companies. Western Americana Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record