Margaret Smith, wife of Sr. Charles Bingham, an excellent paintress [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > Margaret Smith, wife of Sr. Charles Bingham, an excellent paintress [art original].
- Margaret Smith, wife of Sr. Charles Bingham, an excellent paintress [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Margaret Smith, wife of Sir Charles Bingham, an excellent paintress
- Hamilton, Hugh Douglas, 1740-1808, artist
- Atkyns, Charlotte, 1758-1836.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
Portrait of Margaret Smith, wife of Sr. Charles Bingham ...
Title from Horace Walpole's note on verso: Margaret Smith, wife of Sr. Charles Bingham, an excellent paintress, by Hamilton 1774.
Also with a poem on verso in Walpole's hand: Without a rival long on painting's throne, Urbino's modest artist sat alone. At last a British fair's unerring eyes, in five short moons contests the glorious prize, Raphael by genuis nurs'd by labour gain'd it, Bingham but saw perfection, and attain'd it. H.W."
Hugh Douglas Hamilton, English portrait and subject painter, 1739-1808.
No. 20 in the Catalogue of Framed Pictures in the Lewis Walpole Library.
- 1 drawing : 22.9 x 19 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- SH Contents H217 no. 1 Framed, shelved in LFS Bin 33
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Hugh Douglas Hamilton, Margaret Smith, Wife of Sr. Charles Bingham. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)