Miniature of Benedictine nun kneeling before Christ.
- Miniature of Benedictine nun kneeling before Christ.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Southern Germany,
- Stand-alone miniature on paper depicting a Benedictine nun kneeling before Christ and the instruments of the Passion. Banderoles containing devotional phrases extend from the mouths of the nun and Christ; an excerpt from Psalm 31 (Vulgate) is written at the bottom of the miniature.
Binding: individually mounted on parchment.
Decoration: an example of the simple illustration style known as "nonnenarbeiten," which are devotional images produced by medieval nuns for personal use. The nun and Christ are placed in a grassy field comprised of penstrokes covered with a green wash. Details like Christ's wounds are conveyed through penstrokes as well. The instruments of the Passion are individually colored with wash: red and black for the cock, orange for the sponge, and orange for parts of the spear. An alternating blue and orange wash has been used to decorate the border of the miniature.
Script: banderole text in a small Gothic bookhand.
The miniature perhaps originated at the Abbey of St. Walburg in Eichstätt, Germany. Purchased from R.A. van den Graven on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2015.
- 1 leaf : paper ; 110 mm x 115 mm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 712.166
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Manuscripts, Medieval--Germany--15th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Benediktinerinnen-Abtei St. Walburg (Eichstätt, Germany)
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional objects--Catholic Church
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Nuns as artists
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Miniature of Benedictine Nun Kneeling Before Christ. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record