James, Davis L., typescript copy of paper about composition of poem
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > James, Davis L., typescript copy of paper about composition of poem
- James, Davis L., typescript copy of paper about composition of poem
- Published / Created
- 1898 Feb 26
Group of letters, photographs, and clippings chiefly related to Read's poem "Sheridan's Ride," and its composition on the morning of James E. Murdoch's recitation at Pike's Opera House in Cincinnati, October 31, 1864. It includes four letters written by Read and one by E. D. Grafton; copies of accounts by Leon Vanloo and Davis L. James, describing how and where Read wrote the poem; a collage by Grafton showing Murdoch reciting the poem; photographs of Read and his wife Hattie by Grafton and others; and clippings regarding the placement of a plaque on the house in which the poem was written.
- Thomas Buchanan Read, American poet.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS 166
- Container / Volume
- Box 1 | Folder 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Poetry
- Subject (Name)
Grafton, E. D.
James, Davis L.
Literary Club of Cincinnati
Murdoch, James Edward, 1811-1893
Read, Harriet Denison Butler
Read, Thomas Buchanan, 1822-1872
Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888--Poetry
- Subject (Topic)
Authors, American --19th century --Archives
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Material Relating to Thomas Buchanan Read's Poem "Sheridan's Ride." Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)