"Flower Gatherer," Vol. 1, No. 1, autograph manuscript
- "Flower Gatherer," Vol. 1, No. 1, autograph manuscript
- Female Literary Association (Alfred, N.Y.)
- Published / Created
- 1846 June 1
- The first two issues of a monthly literary magazine circulated in manuscript by the Female Literary Association of Alfred, New York. Issues include volume 1, no. 1, dated June 1, 1846 and titled "Flower Gatherer," and volume 1, no. 2, dated September 28, 1846 and titled "A Juvenile Bo[u]quet." Issues contain verse and brief commentary by area residents on historical and contemporary topics, such as relations between European settlers and Native American Indians, fashion, music, and education in local schools. Authors include Adelia M. Grinnell, Martha J. Langworthy, Amanda Potter, and Lydia M. Shaw.
- From Vol. 1, No. 1: "Published monthly by the Female Literary Association of Distr. No. One, Alfred, Allegany County, New York."
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS 948
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Little magazines--United States
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
Alfred (N.Y.)--Social life and customs--19th century
Allegany County (N.Y.)--Social life and customs--19th century
- Subject (Name)
Grinnell, Adelia M.
Langworthy, Martha J.
Shaw, Lydia M.
- Subject (Topic)
American literature--19th century
American literature--Women authors
Authors, American--19th century
Indians in literature
Women authors, American
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Female Literary Association Magazine Collection. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record