Twin brothers who equally shared the gifts of Fortune [art original]
Lewis Walpole Library > Twin brothers who equally shared the gifts of Fortune [art original]
- Twin brothers who equally shared the gifts of Fortune [art original]
- Dodd, Daniel, artist
- Dodd, Daniel, artist.
- Published / Created
- [between 1752 and 1793]
- Publication Place
The first drawing in a series of twelve on modern morals, a tradition established earlier in the 18th century by artists such as William Hogarth. In this series, twin brothers are bestowed an equal fortune. One brother, Edward, husbands his wealth and on his death, passes on his fortune; whilst the other brother, Charles, squanders his, leaving his family destitute
In this first drawing, blind Fortune stands on a wheel with large bags in each hand. The brother on the left, Edward, kneels as he accepts the gift from Fortune. Behind him in the mid-distance a couple is shown depositing coins in the hat of a beggar while in the far distance is a church. The brother on the right, Charles, stands arrogantly with his left hand on his hip as he accepts his good fortune. On the right in the mid-distance a couple is shown riding in an elegant carriage; in the distance is a large house with grain (?) pouring from the loft unattended
Title from pencil notes below image.
Text in faint pencil above image: Twelve prints representing the contrast between virtuous harmony and vicious extravagance.
Signed "Dodd" in lower left and numbered '1' in ink in the upper right.
Date range based on artist's active dates.
For further information, consult library staff.
- 1 drawing : sheet 17.2 x 28 cm, mounted to 21.6 x 32 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Drawings D639 no. 1 Box D117
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Daniel Dodd, Twin Brothers Who Equally Shared the Gifts of Fortune. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)