Horace Walpole youngest son of Sr. Robt. Walpole, Earl of Orford / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Horace Walpole youngest son of Sr. Robt. Walpole, Earl of Orford / [graphic]
- Horace Walpole youngest son of Sr. Robt. Walpole, Earl of Orford / [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Horace Walpole : youngest son of Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford
- McArdell, James, approximately 1729-1765, printmaker
- Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792, artist.
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- publisher not identified
Portrait after Reynolds (Mannings 1819/1821); standing three-quarter length to left and leaning his right elbow on table, his right hand to his cheek, eyes to front, wearing plain coat and waistcoat, lace collar and cuffs; published second state. The objects on the table are a print of the Roman eagle at Strawberry Hill, which Walpole considered 'one of the finest pieces of Greek sculpture in the world' (see Description of Strawberry Hill, Works, v. ii, p. 463), an ink pot and quill; a roll of manuscript, and three books
Title engraved below image.
State from: Smith, J.C. British mezzotinto portraits.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
Mounted on page 3 of Richard Bull's copiously extra-illustrated copy of: Walpole, H. A description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole. Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, 1784. See Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press (1973 ed.), no. 30, copy 13.
1 print : mezzotint on laid paper ; sheet 35.7 x 25.5 cm.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark; with Horace Walpole's bookplate (bookplate 5, type 1), printed on red paper, pasted in lower left corner of image.
For further information, consult library staff.
- 1 print : sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State 2].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 33 30 Copy 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Mezzotints England London 1757
- mezzotint ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797,
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797
England > London > 1757
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ms. notes
Knight, William, -1847 > Ownership
Bull, Richard, 1725-1806 > Ownership
Curtis, Charles Constable, 1852-1936 > Ownership
Curtis, Edith Fanny Onslow, -1944 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)