The crucifix under the shrine in the Chapel made of box inlaid with gold and mother of pearl. [art original]
Lewis Walpole Library > The crucifix under the shrine in the Chapel made of box inlaid with gold and mother of pearl. [art original]
- The crucifix under the shrine in the Chapel made of box inlaid with gold and mother of pearl. [art original]
- Carter, John, 1748-1817, artist
- Published / Created
- [approximately 1790]
- Publication Place
Drawing of the ornate cross that sat beneath the shrine in the Chapel at Strawberry Hill. This piece was bought by Horace Walpole at the sale of Richard Bateman in 1774
Title written in ink below image.
Attribution to John Carter from local catalog card.
A scale bar in inches runs along the bottom of the image.
Date of production based on probable date for Richard Bull's assembly of the extra-illustrated volume in which this drawing appears. See Hazen.
Mounted on page 231 of Richard Bull's copiously extra-illustrated copy of: Walpole, H. A description of the villa of Mr. Horace Walpole. Strawberry Hill : Printed by Thomas Kirgate, 1784. See Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press (1973 ed.), no. 30, copy 13.
For further information, consult library staff.
- 1 drawing : sheet 39.9 x 31 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 33 30 Copy 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Ink drawings British 18th century
Wash drawings British 18th century
Watercolors British 18th century
- pen and ink and watercolor with gray wash ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
- Subject (Topic)
Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)
British > 18th century
Bull, Richard, 1725-1806 > Ownership
Curtis, Charles Constable, 1852-1936 > Ownership
Curtis, Edith Fanny Onslow, -1944 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- John Carter, The Crucifix Under the Shrine in the Chapel. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)